I finished reading Plus Style, The Plus-Size Guide to Looking Great by Suzan Nanfeldt. What a great book! I am all inspired. This book is very comprehensive and stresses fit, something that has been overlooked in the other books that I have read.
What I learned from this book:
1. People make a number of value judgments within 7 seconds of meeting a new person based on their appearance.
- Economic Level
- Level of Sophistication
- Economic Heritage
- Educational Heritage
- Educational Level
- Social Position
- Level of Success
- Social Heritage
- Moral Character
- A regular pattern that fills the available space will make one appear smaller than a widely spaced pattern.
- Use pattern to balance proportions.
- Match the "personality" of the print to the style of the garment.
- The smaller, more subtle and muted the print, the more sophisticated and enduring it will be. (Think of the wild prints of the 1970's).
4. Rules for a capsule wardrobe:
- Use 4 or 5 colors maximum, 2 neutrals and 2 accent colors.
- All colors should work together.
- The patterns should coordinate.
- The styles and scale should be compatible. Can the blouse be worn under the jacket.
- Each piece should be appropriate for the same lifestyle function.